Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Stepping on egg shells


ok - I cant do it - I cant eat scrambled egg whites. I dont know why things have changed - I used to be able to eat them no worries - 1 yolk / 3whites - scrambled. Now I just want to dry-reach when I try and swallow - I think most of all its the smell - the texture isnt the bad bit. I have heard about 'egg beaters' - does anyone here use them? do they smell like egg white? - are they full of presrvatives / additives? I normally use protein powder in the morning - but wanted to try something different - I struggle to eat cottage cheese also - and I dont really want to eat grilled chicken at 6am...I sound like such a whinger! - am not normally like this - but my taste seems to be changing - or that Im just getting sick of these types of protein...grr..

UPDATE: Have just been doing some surfing and this is the best egg white substitute I have found so far - free from additives & flavours. Will let you know how I go...
http://www.bodyscience.com.au/?page=supplements/flypage&product_id=50

4 comments:

Jeanette B said...

Hiya....Egg Beaters are a pretty good alternative to the real thing. They actually smell more like real eggs.

Sekhmet said...

Where do you get the egg beaters from? I haven't seen them at the supermarket.....

I use frozen egg whites (ready Whites), if you hate the real thing though, I don't know how you'd go with them.... I think they have preservatives and other stuff in them too.

I know what you mean about changing taste. I can't even think about cottage cheese without gagging now :( I've never been much of a protein eater (was vego for donkey's years), so i really struggle with it. I'm also finding it really expensive at the moment...... Carbs are so much cheaper....

amyella said...

Hi Bella,
I only use eggbeaters - or the store brand of eggbeaters. They are made of 99% egg white and 1% coloring and such. I don't consider them a processed food and they're so much easier. I also prefer the texture to real egg whites, not to mention I hate throwing away the yolks, feels like such a waste.
Hope that helps,
amy

Kaddy said...

Bella, let us know what you find with these! i'm definately interested!

I have my egggs like this-

1/2 onion, grated zucchini, bit of green capsicum and spinache (on occassion) also, sometimes mushroom i lightly fry all ingredients in non stick frying pan then mix in with whites - pour mixture into bowl and let set like a pancake then turn over and cook the other side - then cook a whole egg seperately and use the yolk like a sauce - or you can mix all egg + egg whites in the bowl with the cooked veg, pour into frying pan and place some slices of tomato on top - let cook for a vit then put frying pan under grill...this is pretty yum too and stops the eggs from tastin glike scrambled egggs...let me know how you go.